FROM GROWTH MINDSET TO DEGROWTH ACTIONS
21. – 27. July 2022
WHAT AND WHY?
Degrowth is a concept, movement and a way of thinking which main emphasis is not merely on calling for less growth, consumption or production, but more fundamentally, in inviting one to shift and re‐politicise the terms in which economic relations and identities are considered. Training offers interesting points of departure for conceptualising and practicing alternatives to consumer capitalism also in connection with deconstructing
our perception of citizenship. Degrowth is mainly addressed by researches and not practically oriented so also non-professionals could grasp it. On the training, we will try breaking it down to think about it and live it so each of us can contribute to better understanding of global interdependencies.
The training framework is a concept, a philosophy, a, movement – de-growth, which we will examine from a
theoretical perspective with some guest speakers working in the area of activism, politics as well as on the practical level.
Living in a degrowth community is experimental and experiential 6-day training course that will offer 18 activists
and youth workers the opportunity to explore mental constraints on our way to communities that respond appropriately to environmental, social and economic challenges.
In the training, you will experience working for a community cause, explore the growing-up practices in the
city of Maribor and address your challenges while trying to live as an active citizen striving for more just communities in the framework of your personal and professional life.
THE MAIN PURPOSE OF THE COURSE
- bringing together practitioners and thinkers advocating transformations towards climate and social justice
- to promote cooperation and networking between diverse actors who share a common goal – the well-being of people and the environment
- empowerment and support for participants to remain active in your local communities/organizations and to
incorporate concepts that associate with degrowth into our life ignite a debate and attention of local communities on degrowth concept in a more practical sense
PROFILE OF THE PARTICIPANT
For those who understand, or are willing to consider, that economic growth must not be the only indicator of good
life and are ready to take action and search for more just practices.
If you would like to participate, you must meet the following criteria:
- be 18 years old or older (no upper limit)
- have previous experience in activism, youth work, working in context of sustainability, climate justice, degrowth
- have a good command of English
- have a strong motivation to act as a multiplier upon your return
- commit to implement the learned knowledge and skills in practice back home
- commit to actively participate from the beginning to the end of the training
- be ready to cocreate programme together with the organizers
HOW TO APPLY?
Send an Email to: email@example.com
The training is financed by Erasmus+ funding.
Travel costs are reimbursed up to:
Czech Republic: 180€
We encourage you to travel as environmentally friendly as you can. Preferably taking buses, trains (we are aware this is not possible in some cases, especially if you are coming from Portugal, Romania e.g.).
In the light of environmental crisis and the impact that agriculture has on the environment the food on the training
will be mainly locally produced and vegan with some vegetarian options.
If you have any further questions regarding the content or logistics you can contact us via mail: